My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Friday, June 18, 2010

Answers

A couple of days ago Jonah came out of his room, walking purposefully toward the pantry.

“I just prayed to Heavenly Father and told Him that my tummy doesn’t feel good.  He told me that I should make myself a peanut butter and honey sandwich.”

I asked “How did he tell you that?”

“I just hear(ed)  His voice in my mind.”

Today Caleb was distraught over a new card game that he had spent his own money on.  It got lost somewhere between his friend’s house and home.  He searched for quite a while, and finally came home happy.

“You must have found it,” I observed.

“Yep,” he said matter-of-factly. “I said a prayer, and then I found it on Wyatt’s bed.”

I love that my kids think to turn to prayer when they have a problem, and that they are learning to recognize the answers.  I love that Heavenly Father is so quick to answer them in a way they will understand.  I guess when a child prays with such perfect faith, how could He resist?

Today brought a repeat of Jonah’s prayer about his tummy.  He got the same answer… peanut butter and honey.

As he was munching on his sandwich he said to me, thoughtfully, “I don’t think I need to pray about this problem again.  Now I just know what to do.”

No comments:

Post a Comment