My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Noises I heard today

 

One of my favorite morning sounds: the chickens and ducks clamoring to be let out of their coop.

One of my least favorites: Caleb talking back to me “Why don’t you be quiet?”  Don’t worry, he got grounded.

My cell phone ringing at least 10 times while I was running errands:

“Hi Mom, this is Josh.  Do I have to do my jobs?”

“Hi Mom, this is Josh.  These jobs are taking forever!”

“Hi Mom, this is Josh.   I bumped my head while I was doing my jobs.”

“Hi Mom, this is Josh.  How much longer are you going to be?”

“Hi Mom, this is Josh.  You said 20 minutes and it’s been almost 30 minutes!”   Hmmmm, I wonder why!

I’ll spare you the rest, but I’m not even kidding!

Every mother’s favorite sound:  banging on the door while I’m in the bathroom.  He had to bang loudly to be heard over the screaming baby trying to climb up my ankles. 

“Mom?  Can we sleep on the trampoline tonight?”  (This was in the morning.)

“Can we talk about it when I come out?”

“But can we?”

“I’ll be out in a minute.”

“What Mom?  I can’t hear you because Simon is crying too loud!”

And then, mercifully, a nice loud rumbling from Simon’s diaper, and nothing but smiles and happy gurgles.

And two truly joyful noises… Savannah cheerfully practicing the piano, and Rebecca singing in her first ever school choir concert. 

3 comments:

  1. I have the biggest smile on my face....I am so happy you started a blog so I can read all about the sweet noises....you are my inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!! So good to see you! Your family is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I'm SO glad you have a blog now!

    ReplyDelete