My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Friday, October 16, 2009

The new arrival in my closet

 

I am generally not a shoe person.  Or an accessory person at all, for that matter.  I can never justify spending money on things that, however sparkly and beautiful they may be, are impractical or unnecessary.  Every few years a new pair of shoes will become necessary, in which case I will head on down to Payless (if I can’t find any appropriate hand-me-downs from my glamorous sisters) and pick an inexpensive pair that will go with everything I own.  Now you can fully appreciate how extraordinary it was when I came home with these beauties:

IMG_2624

Silver and blue sequined heels!

It just so happens that on my most recent trip to the store, as I was browsing down the shoe isle, my sister Lindsey was sitting on my shoulder whispering words of temptation into my ear.  “You know you love them…  You never make purchases like this.  Just this one won’t hurt…Look at them sparkle!”  Before I knew it, I had bought the shoes, and was feeling giddy all the way home.  I do love them.      In fact, I can’t take my eyes off of them when they sparkle in the moonlight!  

I’m happy to report that I have already found two very appropriate occasions to wear them!

IMG_2591                                                       Performing at a tribute to WWII veterans.     I know you can’t see the sparkle, but it’s there!

7226_167476312532_600282532_3649646_6171417_n

A concert at BYU with my sisters

It has always been a dream of mine to wear a sequin dress.  Hopefully these shoes will satisfy that desire, so that nobody ever has to endure me sparkling from head to toe!

1 comment:

  1. We'll have to get back to those ballroom dance lessons if you're ever going to have an occasion for sequin head to toe. That... or we could dress you up as the star for a Christmas play or something.

    ReplyDelete