My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Sunday, November 8, 2009

The perfect body

IMG_2677

I was so surprised during church today to look down and see, folded neatly in my lap, my mother’s hands! I remember sitting next to her in church, looking at her hands and thinking how old they looked. Now those old hands are mine… complete with club thumb!

I feel some pressure from society to feel horrified by the fact that I don’t look as young as I used to, but today I don’t. As I sat looking at my hands, I thought of all that they accomplish. Just like my mother, and her mother, and her mother before that…these hands have done a lot of work. They have washed dishes, scrubbed floors, changed MANY diapers, wiped away tears, applied band-aids, and the list goes on and on. It’s only right that they are looking older and well worn. They have earned that!

I thought about the rest of me, too. The slowly deepening creases on my face have their own stories to tell. Those lines mean that I have smiled much, and cared enough to worry sometimes. There are marks left behind by the sunshine, and some left behind by times of stress. I have a scar that will always remind me of a trip down the river. And I have…ahem… “saggy-ness” and stretch marks that are a constant reminder that I have born and nurtured many children.

In spite of the aesthetic imperfections, I am in awe of what a gift my body is to me. It is strong enough to work hard, to love and to serve and to care for my family. It has enough flaws to provide me with trials and opportunities for growth. It somehow knows how to create beautiful little bodies for my children. What a miracle is the gift of life! I can honestly say that, for me, I have the perfect body. And I am grateful.

10 comments:

  1. Sweet eloquent christi...I loved reading your words....what a blessing a healthy body is. You have done so much and are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Christi. So many times we as women get caught in the trap of hating our bodies. What a waste of time! While it's hard not to fall into that, I love that you posted this to remind us of what all our bodies accomplish for us each day. What a lovely message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are an amazing writer. Well said my sister, well said.

    P.S. Are you trying to tell me that our thumbs aren't normal?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do believe that this one is my favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christi, I had the same moment at church the other day too! I resolved to put more lotion on to see if that would help but I have realized that my hands too had seen many hours of love, tickles, service, dishes, laundry, gardening and soo many other wonderful things that I to am grateful for my wonderful body that allows me to do all of those fun, amazing things!!! (Even if I only have one "club thumb"!) Angela Lunt

    ReplyDelete
  6. reading this did my heart good!!! I am often thankful for a body that works, that I can run, hug my children, eat, drink and play. I can hear, smell, taste, etc. There are very few times that I feel discouraged and ironically enough it is usually at a specific time during the month. I love your look on life. I have missed you, it was so fun to visit with you today. I always feel better after I have chatted with you. When I tell my friends about you, I always start my stories with "my amazing friend" and that is truly how i feel about you. You are an elect woman who i love knowing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. yeah- growing old gracefully is a rare gift. When Dorthy and Milt Robbins came to visit- they were adorable! (and old) And they looked GREAT (and old) at the same time! I told Brian- I want us to look like that... balding, grey, wrinkly, full of life and spunk and so in love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful post! I'm much older than you *smile.... so I guess I've earned these "old hands". Thank you for giving me a new perspective! hugss Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very true, and well said! I think of that often. ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete