My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Bartering

 

Halloween is not my favorite Holiday.  I could get excited about it once a year… maybe.  But we had to do it 3 times this year!  Anyway… that is not the point of this post.  The part that I do love about Halloween is the sorting and bartering.  After trick-or-treating, my kids all sort and re-sort their candy into piles.  It gets organized by colors, size, ingredients or how much they like each piece. 

IMG_2664

Then the bartering begins.  “I’ll give you 2 tootsie rolls for that Reeses.”  “No way!  Reeses are worth at least 4 tootsie rolls!”  “How about 2 tootsie rolls for a gumball?”  Some of the kids drive a super hard bargain, others just like to make others happy, so they give up their favorites.   As much as I dislike the fact that we have so much candy,  I can’t help but smile.

Here are our costumes this year:

IMG_2655

Simon was a mummy

IMG_2657

Jonah was a ghost

IMG_2656

Josh was a phantom

IMG_2660

Caleb was a vampire that does card tricks

IMG_2658

Savannah was a cowgirl

IMG_2662

Rebecca was a vampire girl

No comments:

Post a Comment