My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Taking charge of the situation

On Friday Jonah went to play at his friend Grant’s house.  You know Grant… the friend he loves enough to name a chicken after him.

IMG_1899

Grant’s sister, Rachel, was watching the boys so that I could get some work done around the house.  It was a much appreciated favor, but it turns out that Jonah ended up pulling his own weight.

The report I received goes something like this:

Grant: crying hysterically

Rachel: Grant, please stop crying.  (crying continues) Please? (crying continues)

Jonah:  I’ll take care of this.  Grant, (pause) if you stop crying, I will teach you how to beat the bad guy on Lego Batman at my house.

Grant stops crying immediately.

Moments later crying resumes.

Jonah, looking at Grant authoritatively: Grant, remember what we talked about.

Grant stops crying, and all is well.

I guess we better have Grant over for his Lego Batman instruction!

1 comment: