My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Friday, November 11, 2011

Shake well

The other day I noticed, a few times, that the kids were shaking the silverware drawer.  They would open it, shake it a few times, then grab a fork or spoon and be on their way.

I didn’t think much of it because, well, kids do things like that sometimes.  Only when Savannah asked about it did I realize what was going on.  As she was taking her turn to shake the silverware drawer she asked “Mom, why do you want us to shake this before we use it?”

Confused, I asked what she was talking about.  She pointed out the “instructions” stuck to the front of the drawer.

 

IMG_5186

Someone had put this sticker on the front of the drawer.  Since I have been labeling everything lately, (light switches, closet shelves, bathroom cabinets, etc.) the kids just assumed it was put there by me.

With their usual unquestioning obedience, (HA!) they were faithfully following my instructions.  Shake well before each use.

When I explained that it wasn’t put there by me at all, we all had a good laugh.  For the rest of the day the kids had fun trying to sneak that sticker to each others’ behinds.

Too bad I didn’t get any pictures of that!  Or better yet, videos!

1 comment: