My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Friday, December 2, 2011

Elijah’s blessing

For logistical reasons, we decided to bless little Eli at my parents house on the same day that Lindsey blessed Milo.

(Milo on the left, Eli on the right.  We had a hard time getting them to co-operate for pictures!)

_MG_1010

It was such a lovely day.  The Bishop of my parents’ ward was there to preside, and my dad conducted.  After a prayer, Jeff gave Elijah Jeffrey a name and a blessing.  I can’t find the paper that we took notes on, but I remember a couple of details:

He was blessed that he would be a good example to his brothers and sisters, and also that he would learn to follow their good examples.

He was blessed with health and strength.

And my favorite- he was blessed that he would have the desire to seek out truth, and the wisdom to recognize it.

 

_MG_0981

After the blessing my dad invited Lindsey and I to bear our testimonies.  I mentioned how grateful I am for my family members who keep coming, even after 7 baby blessings, to show their support.  Somehow it makes me feel like Elijah is officially part of the family, and that his life is important.

_MG_0989

_MG_1027

No comments:

Post a Comment