My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Friday, August 10, 2012

Big Brothers

 

Big brothers are the best!  They can do so many amazing things!  Just ask Simon.

Yesterday Josh stayed home from school.  He had thrown up the day before, but yesterday he was hopping and skipping (he can never just walk anywhere) all over the house. He decided first thing in the morning that he would spend his free day with Simon.

IMG_5950

They sat down to make a list of all the fun things they wanted to do. 

Blow bubbles

Read books

Jump on the tramp

Make forts

Play a game

Climb a tree

Play puppies in space

It was an action packed day.  Full of all the fun things that Simon could dream up.

One of the other kids mumbled under their breath, “If I had a free day home, that is NOT how I would spend it!”

Instantly, my mind jumped forward 20 years to when Simon will be reminiscing about his childhood.  He will remember his big brother Josh with a little bit of magic.  How Josh could build the best forts, and blow the biggest bubbles.  How Josh always made him feel so special.

Maybe Josh should have been in school.  But if you ask me, I would say that the way he spent his day was eternally more valuable!

No comments:

Post a Comment