My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Long boarding without pads

A couple weeks ago I got a call from Caleb, who was in Utah with a friend's family.  His voice sounded shaky and he was talking fast.

"Hi Mom.  I need you to call Grandpa.  I wrecked on my long board and I broke my tooth.  I can't find it anywhere, and I think I have two broken wrists and I'm really bloody and can you call Grandpa and see what I should do?  Also I think I might be in shock a little."

I know Caleb well enough to know that this kind of a call is ALWAYS a possibility, so I wasn't actually surprised.  I was, however, a little concerned.  I told him to get to an adult ASAP to get cleaned up and checked out, and I would talk to Grandpa.

These are the pictures I got:



He flew home the next day, and I spent the next couple of days getting him all patched up.  Sure enough- two broken wrists.  He got a full cast on the right one, but they let him off with just a brace for the left, since it wasn't as severe.  Grandpa worked his magic on that front tooth, and it looks good as new.  

Unfortunately, there is no way Caleb can continue working as an AC technician (helper) for the summer.  He can't even open the peanut butter without help!  It's put quite a damper on his plans for the next few weeks.  Maybe next time his mom texts "Don't forget to wear your pads!" he might listen!  Probably not.

No comments:

Post a Comment