My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Monday, May 14, 2018

A farewell to scouts

Recently the church announced it's "break up" with the scouting program.  If I am being honest, I have wished for this to happen- usually while searching for lost scout shirts, ironing on patches, or sitting through my 7,000th pack meeting.

But at the same time... I have to recognize the wonderful things that scouting has done for my boys! 

They have learned some great "man skills" from some great leaders.  They have learned to set goals and follow through with them.  They have learned to do hard things, to serve others, and to stick with a task even when it's not fun.  They have built some great friendships and had so much fun along the way!  

This picture feels to me like the PERFECT illustration of what cub scouts is all about!  I can't stop looking at it!  It makes me teary-eyed to think that Eli will never get to have this experience!


I am looking forward to the changes coming.  I have full confidence that the church will come up with a great program for boys and girls.  But I sure am grateful for what scouting has done for our family!

No comments:

Post a Comment