My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Friday, August 24, 2018

Bearing fruit



This morning I sat at my kitchen table, looking out the window at the pecan tree.  It’s massive, and its branches shade a huge portion of my back yard.  This time of year the branches are starting to hang a little lower, heavy with nuts.
I sat thinking what a miracle it is that trees just know how to make fruit!  I don’t have to do anything to make sure the pecan tree makes pecans, or that the peach tree makes peaches.  I provide the soil and some water, and they just do their thing. And they do it beautifully!  I just get to enjoy the fruit.  The world is a better place because there are peaches and pecans in it!
I feel like people are the same way. We were each born with amazing and unique potential, and the world needs what each person has to offer.  My job as a mother is just to provide a little soil and water- to offer my children the tools that will allow them to be the person they were created to be. Then I get to sit back and watch the miracle happen. The fruit just appears, and it’s so beautiful to watch.
I have the best job ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment