My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Romantic Getaways…Evolved

In honor of Simon no longer being so dependant on me, (I stopped nursing him last month) Jeff and I decided to take a weekend getaway. My visions started off with us snowmobiling through Yellowstone… something I’ve always wanted to do. I decided that that would waste too much of our precious time in traveling there and back. Snowmobiling would be just as fun in Flagstaff.

So we lined up my very brave and slightly indebted to us sister Lindsey to watch the kids. The week before our trip, Jeff came up with the idea that the kids could go away, and we could stay here and work on our kitchen remodel. And so that became our new plan for our romantic getaway.

I have to say, it has been every bit as relaxing, less expensive, and more productive! I don't think I'll choose it every time... but it's been a great weekend!

This is us when we were dating, dreams of romance dancing in our heads:

dating portrait

This is real life:

IMG_2931

IMG_2932

PS I forgot to mention that Jeff’s super handy and fun brother Doug joined us!

1 comment:

  1. That does sound like a good time...thanks for letting doug help...I can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete