My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Holes

Caleb and his friends (the other boys that roam the neighborhood) have spent the last several days digging.  Every day they race to get their chores and schoolwork done so they can hurry outside to work on the hole.

They have grand visions… it’s going to be a giant underground fort, with tunnels leading from room to room.  It will be completely hidden, with wood re-enforcing the whole thing so it won’t cave in on them.  It’s even going to have a bathroom and “booby traps” at the entrance!

Yesterday, a bunch of dirty, sweaty boys came in for a drink, and then headed into Caleb’s room to count his money.  They had figured out that the work would go much faster if they could afford to pay for some help.  They decided they’d  try to recruit Nathan, the biggest, strongest boy they know.  (He’s a 15 year old that lives nearby.) 

I heard Sam say “Dude!  He’s gonna want to dig, just so he can have a room in the hole!”

“Yeah, probably.  But we better take the money just in case,” somebody reasoned.  “First we’ll ask him for free.  If he doesn’t want to, then we’ll offer him $5.  If that doesn’t work, we might have to pay him all$9.”

I was surprised to see that Nathan didn’t accept the job offer.  But they did bring home Jesse, a 13 year old who would help dig - just to be nice.

I’ve heard so much about this hole that yesterday I made the trek to the back acre to check it out.  So far, it is about 2 feet deep and 3 feet wide.  This ought to keep them busy for quite a while!

4 comments:

  1. Funny...I love the conversations...

    ReplyDelete
  2. They haven't offered me a room yet. Man, I'd take it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. How funny are they?! I love it. I thought you would go out there and see this grand hole! I wonder what they will come up with once they figure out that it's too much work?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you think they would be willing to dig some post holes for us? I would pay them nine bucks to do it! lol

    ReplyDelete