My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Friday, February 5, 2010

R.I.P.

 

 

This post is in memory of Waddle, our duck.  This is all that’s left of him.IMG_2970It’s been a pretty traumatic and frustrating day around here.  Waddle had a mate named Wiggle who misses him very much.  The two were inseparable. She’s been wandering around alone today, quacking  for him.

We used to have 13 chickens and 2 ducks.  We’re down to 3 chickens and 1 duck.  They have fallen victim to random escaped neighborhood dogs.  I know we need a fence around our property, but that is going to be expensive and labor intensive. 

So here is the frustration that I’m feeling today:  Life seems to unravel so much faster than I am capable of re-raveling! 

Yesterday I mopped the floors… today someone walked all around the house with dog poo on their shoe.

Simon finished his antibiotics, and this morning the eye goo is back.

The drinking fountain is not draining, the kitchen needs to be taped and textured, and the laundry and dishes are multiplying and replenishing the earth.  The trees are blossoming before we could get to trimming them, and it’s time to plant a garden.

And then… another family pet gets killed before we can get to putting up a fence.

I have tried to find comfort in the scripture from the Book of Mormon that says “… it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength.”   But it seems to me that the real life version should read “Run like the wind or you will be buried alive!”

I wonder… will there ever come a time in my life where doing my best is enough?

1 comment: