My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Monday, March 29, 2010

Break from a break

I always look forward to the kids having a break from school.  I love having them home, and having some free time in our schedule.  But I’ve gotta say… after two weeks of it, I’m ready for a little break!

In the first two hours after everyone rode their bikes off into the sunrise, I got the house cleaner than it has been in the last two weeks.  About an hour of that was spent folding laundry!

Warning: The rest of this post will be interesting only to Grandparents and posterity.

Here are some of the highlights from our visit to San Diego:

caleb beach

Caleb spent his beach time digging holes, then covering them with towels and trying to lure the Seagulls into the trap with bits of food.

 

 

 

 

bros

Josh and Simon taking a snack break.  Josh stayed busy for hours creating a sand masterpiece, and then trying to defend it from wandering toddlers.

josh digs

 

jonah 2

Jonah was writing in the sand, and called me over to see his handiwork.  I was expecting to see his name, or a happy face or something, but no.

 

 

 

 

toot

In case you can’t read it, it says TOOT.  Ahh… the joys of knowing how to spell!

 

 

 

 

 

simon mom

It looks so cute, but 6 hours at a windy beach with a tired, sandy baby is not as fun as it looks.

 

 

 

 

 

I’m sad that I don’t have any pics of Becca or Savannah.  They were having a great time boogie boarding, playing catch, flying kites, etc.  At one point Rebecca came to me and said “I feel like I might explode with happiness!  I just feel SO happy at the beach!”  That made ALL THE TROUBLE somehow worth it.

That reminds me:

kite

I know you can’t see it very well, but this is Jonah and Sadie flying the kite all by themselves!

 

 

 

 

 

jonah shamoo

Here we are at the Shamoo show at Sea World.  Jonah was covering his mouth in awe of how high Shamoo could jump.  Simon was really impressed, too.  He kept clapping and yelling “YEAH!”

It was all fun and games until we got soaked.

 

 

simon hat  I just thought this was too cute to leave out.  Simon waiting patiently for the big kids to finish petting the sting rays.

 

 

 

 

Looking at these pictures I’m already forgetting how stressful the trip was!  Funny how that happens…

No comments:

Post a Comment