My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Happy Birthday to me!

My birthday was last week.  I was in San Diego all week, and Jeff pulled off a great birthday surprise while I was gone.  Here is a sneak peak:

IMG_3084

I’ll post more pictures when the finishing touches are done, but let me just say that I LOVE IT!  I was hoping for a hammock, and I got a kitchen!

Meanwhile… I was sinking my teeth into this birthday beauty:

37 candles 

My sister Kathy was our very brave hostess in San Diego.  She put 37 candles in a still-warm- from- the-oven cake and lighted them.  Before I could get enough breath to blow them out, they had all MELTED into the cake!  There are scorch marks on the frosting where the flames were still burning after the wax disappeared!  It was hilarious!  We ate the cake anyway, and were all still picking wax out of our teeth the next day!

Thanks, Kathy, for making my most memorable cake ever!

4 comments:

  1. I love it too! What a pretty window! Happy Birthday =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a happy birthday...and you have a sweet honey...it looks so awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Late birthday friend! You are so lucky to get a vacation AND a kitchen!! Can you tell you are loved or what???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anything for the love of a sister! :)

    ReplyDelete