My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Friday, April 23, 2010

Choosing to see

When we bought this house (and property), our realtor said “You guys must have a real eye for potential!”

And we did.  What she saw as a run down, creepy old house and shed, we saw as limitless possibilities.

I have a metaphorical pair of glasses that helps me see things as I want them to be.  It’s all about what I choose to see.

For example, I choose to see this:

IMG_3188

…instead of looking slightly to the left and seeing this:

IMG_3189

I choose to see this:

IMG_3191

…instead of this:

IMG_3190

Oddly enough, these two (following)  pictures are the same place, seen from opposite perspectives:

IMG_3194 

IMG_3136

This one can be seen as pile of old junk, or a magical fort.  Again… depending on what you want it to be:

IMG_3192

Lately I have been thinking that I need to do a better job of wearing my “glasses” when I see my children.  Instead of feeling frustrated by the unpleasantries of daily life, I want to focus on the beauty  and goodness in my children.  I want to see them loving and serving each other.

When I looked at my dark, dreary 1980’s kitchen, I had a vision of a cheerful country kitchen instead.  And magically, (the magic called Jeff) that is what it became.

I can’t help but think that it will be the same with my children.  If I see the great potential in them, then that is what they will see, too.  And if that is what they see, then that is what they will become.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful post, we must have the same prescription because I can always see the potential in a house and my kids!

    BTW - LOVED your comment over at clover lane. i read it and laughed then had to laugh some more when I realized it was you!!!! You are the BEST♥

    ReplyDelete