My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Thursday, May 12, 2011

Secret Weapon

Jonah has been getting picked on at school._MG_6638

Some mean boys at school tell him that he HAS TO play the chasing game at recess, and  that he HAS TO be on the girls’ team.  Then they chase him down and shove him into the fence or wrestle him to the ground.

Recess was becoming less than fun for him.  Until yesterday.

We were having a talk about standing up to those boys.  I told him that he did NOT have to do anything they said!  He came up with an idea of his own.

“I know!  I can just breathe in their noses and they will run away screaming!”

It’s a technique that has proved successful against his brothers and sisters, due to a chronic and potent case of halitosis.

Yesterday he came home from school feeling successful and powerful.

“It worked!” he proclaimed.  “I just breathed in their noses and they all ran away!”

They haven’t dared to bully him since.  I’m so proud!

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny! A couple of years ago Cody was getting picked on ( the sweet ones always do:) and he finally stood up for himself and that was the end of that.

    ReplyDelete