My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Christmas Cards

Davis 2012 Christmas Card

I love receiving Christmas cards every year.  Especially from the friends that live far away.  It makes me feel loved and connected to have pictures of friends displayed on the Christmas card wall.  Now I know it’s a bit hypocritical, but I have absolutely no interest in sending cards.

I have always just felt like that is one more thing to do in an already hectic month.  Apparently Savannah does not feel the same way.  Every year she begs me to do Christmas cards, and I’m usually successful at putting her off until it’s too late.

This year I turned it over to her.  My sister in law, who is single-handedly responsible for making sure we get family pictures done occasionally, took these great pictures for us.  I just rounded up the best of whatever kids had in their drawers, and Leah worked her magic!

With the pictures done, I told Savannah I was willing to commit to 20 Christmas cards.  No more.  If she would do all the work and send the card to be printed, I would pick them up from Costco.  Well… she did it.  I think she did a great job!  And I already addressed my 20 cards, plus a few that Savannah wanted to hand out to friends.

Please don’t feel bad if you don’t get a Christmas card.  I only sent them to the friends who live far away, and whose addresses I happened to have sitting on my desk.  It may take me a few years to work up to it but eventually I hope to be able to include all of the people I love and think of at Christmas time!

1 comment:

  1. They turned out great!! So adorable...I love your beautiful family

    ReplyDelete