My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Monday, April 24, 2017

Perspective

Today I am learning again that perspective is everything.

This morning in my prayers I thought about the day ahead of me.  I went through the usual tasks, and asked Father in Heaven to consecrate those things- to make them holy.  I asked for help to see the beauty in the normally mundane.

When I woke the boys up, I had one who was off to a rocky start.  He hated breakfast, he hated sharing a room, he hated noises and lights and smells and... you get the idea.  Normally that behavior is nothing but irritating to me.  Especially at 6:45 am!  But this morning I took the time to explain that in families we all have flaws, and we all need to be patient with each other.  I was reminded what a privilege it is to live in a family, and what a solemn responsibility I have to lovingly teach this boy.

As I folded laundry, it felt like a meaningful service.  I was happy to help pack lunches, to comb down unruly hair, and to smooth over minor disagreements.

I was especially happy to listen to Eli singing his heart out from the bathroom!  Something about gopher guts and tigers.

I am so grateful for the reminder that there is nothing in the world more important than teaching children.  God's "work and glory" is to bring to pass the eternal life of His children.  I am trying to be like Him.  My work and my glory is to love and teach my children- and to lead them to the Lord.

Motherhood is a holy work.

No comments:

Post a Comment