My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Friday, May 7, 2010

Belly Buttons

Today as I was busy around the house… putting laundry in, picking up toys, cleaning up after breakfast, etc….I noticed this little guy following me around.

IMG_3223

He’s fairly new at walking, so he stumbled along behind me “like a drunken sailor,” as my mom would say. 

He kept calling out “Ma!  Ma!”  Finally I stopped to say “What do you need, Simon?”

His whole face lit up and he proudly said “Hi!”

That was just the little moment I needed today to remind me how much I love staying home with all these little ones.

When I sat down on the floor to hug and kiss him, he decided that he needed to see my belly button right then.  He LOVES belly buttons these days!

Yesterday I took off my regular shirt and looked down at my tank top.  The one that I wear under everything, so it doesn’t usually take the brunt of the handprints or snotty noses.  For some reason, this time it was filthy.

I was stumped until Jeff pointed out that all the dirty little prints were around my belly button.

Now it makes perfect sense!

No comments:

Post a Comment