My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Sunday, July 11, 2010

The Grand Finale

We took our time getting home.  We stopped at the Grand Canyon, which apparently has a pretty lame gift shop, for being one of the 7 natural wonders of the world.

There were no cool toys for Josh.  There were no snow globes for Savannah. (She had been collecting them at each stop.)  There were no stuffed animals under $7 for Rebecca.  Caleb was saving his remaining souvenir money to try and buy the leftover fireworks off of Dad.

But it was a lovely view.

IMG_3487

IMG_3485

Just north of Flagstaff, we stopped at the lava tubes.  It is a really neat underground cave that used to be a river of lava.  We hiked about 3/4 mile in, and then back out.   It is 42 degrees year round, so it’s a great summer activity.  It turned out to be one of the kids’ favorite things that we did!

IMG_3498

Jeff had the kids turn off their flashlights to see how dark it was.  He was going to make a great analogy about the light of Christ that guides us, but Savannah cut him off and said she had already heard that lesson twice.  Oh well.

IMG_3506

All in all a great vacation!  And Jeff has this week off as his “vacation from a vacation.”  We should be well rested!

No comments:

Post a Comment