My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Let’s get this show on the road – part 1

For years I have wanted to take an RV trip. This year we finally did it, and it was all I had hoped and dreamed!

Disclaimer: I am not a photographer, and the next few posts are full of photos! I know they're not great quality, but they are great for memories!

IMG_3460IMG_3461

We spent many, MANY hours on the road, and enjoyed almost all of them. Here are the secrets of our success:

1 We left Simon home with Grandma. He would have hated the trip, and was happy as could be with Grandma.

2 Snacks, games, coloring, reading books… everything was fun, since we could do it up to a table while we were driving!IMG_3480

IMG_3418

3 The older kids listened to 10 CDs worth of Fablehaven, (pictured below) while Jonah and I played War with cards. That boy is a TRASH TALKER! Whenever he won a hand, he would say something like “Now that’s what I’m talking about!” or “yeah, baby!” My favorites were “That’s right, (talking to the cards) come to Papa!” And later, “It’s time to give Papa some sugar!” Where does he get this stuff?

IMG_3417

4 Bodily functions provided HOURS of entertainment! We talked and sang about tooting and pooping. We argued and cried about tooting and pooping. We accused, defended, laughed, teased and bonded. All thanks to those bodily functions that never get old. (Please know that I don’t include Jeff or myself when I use the term we.) Sheesh!

5 My favorite thing was having our beds with us no matter where we went. When Jeff decided to drive through the night, we just made our beds, went to sleep, and woke up in another state. When the traffic was too bad after the fireworks show, we just did our scriptures and prayers, and then went to bed. Jeff drove us back to our campground once the roads cleared up.

IMG_3483

IMG_3421

Jeff was our faithful driver. I did offer to take turns, for the record, but he would rather be driving than riding. For some reason, he is not anxious to do it again.

IMG_3420

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment