My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Saturday, July 10, 2010

part 5 – Provo

The main point of including Utah in our trip was to be in town for the 4th of July.   I want my kids to understand why they are so blessed to live here, and to love the principles on which America was founded.  I took along lots of good books that would help, and I think it was successful.

Anyway… I was excited for the big parade and fireworks show.  And for weather that was cool enough to enjoy the day.

We rolled into town Friday night, expecting the parade to be on Saturday.   It was scheduled for Monday.  Doggonit.  We did not get to see a parade, but we had lots of fun anyway.

We walked around BYU and showed the kids where we had classes.  We shopped in the over-priced BYU bookstore.  We showed them the MTC and a bunch of nostalgic sights that they tried to pretend they were interested in.

IMG_3462

We took a little scenic train ride on the historic Heber Creeper.

2010-07-03 14.39.50

IMG_3468

Friday night we took all the kids to a Korean restaurant, which turned out to be a big hit!  Everyone loved the food!  Then we went back to our campground and played with fireworks that are illegal in AZ. 

IMG_3453

IMG_3456

IMG_3458

Jonah didn’t love the smell.

Caleb loved lighting fireworks!  He was excited to light our own the next night while we waited for the real show to start.  There were lots of people gathered around, and he was feeling pretty cool.  He grabbed his bag and said “Come on.  Let’s go show ‘em what we’ve got.”

To be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment