My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back to School

My biggest complaint right now is this:   WHY can the school not charge a fee, and then provide the school supplies???  I have been to Walmart at least 10 times so far, and every day somebody else comes home with one more thing that they found out they need.  Sheesh!

It does feel good though, to start a new school year.  It feels like a chance to reset any bad habits we have fallen into over the summer (staying up late, watching too much TV, etc.) and start fresh with our goals and schedules.  I was thinking that I couldn’t wait to get my house clean, but somehow that hasn’t happened yet.

My little buddy for the last five years has left me.  At least it’s only for half-day.

DPP_02171

DPP_02163 

Notice the road-rash on his forehead from his loving older brother.

DPP_02151

Here are the other kids looking so dapper in their uniforms.

Now if only the weather would cool down, we could call summer officially over.  Yesterday Caleb came home with a heat headache so severe that he threw up.  I’m sorry to have passed on that particular gene.

But I’m rambling…

2 comments:

  1. Poor Kaleb....love the routine of back to school..come over a swim next week with the littles....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your life is going to be soooo boring without Jonah at home. That kid is so funny and creative I'm feeling sad and he's not even my kid.

    ReplyDelete