My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Monday, August 30, 2010

Snapshot

I’m going to give you a peek inside my purse.
Actually, it’s not literally a peek.  I meant that figuratively.  It’s  more of a list.
Today at the doctor’s office I was searching through my purse.  The things that I found there made me smile, and struck me as a little snapshot of what my life is full of right now:

An inch-thick stack of insurance cards, with the one I need always seeming to be at the bottom.

A pair of very small flip-flops

A pitch pipe

A chapstick with bite marks in the top

A fairly large collection of cub scout awards

Several grocery receipts, each of which is about 3 ft long

A stale pack of gum that I didn’t know was there

Somebody's pocketknife- not sure whose

Assorted painkillers of varying strengths

A few tissues and napkins - mostly unused

Two pair of sunglasses that have too many scratches to see through

And a wallet that is never quite as full as I wish it was.

Noticeably absent were diapers and wipes.  I was keeping my fingers crossed that I didn’t need them.

1 comment:

  1. I was sure that you were going to find your magic wand in there. I don't know where it could have gone.

    ReplyDelete