My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A thought

I had a thought today.  (This is where my dad would make a joke about how proud he is that I actually had a thought.  Good one, Dad!)

Anyway… my thought came as a sort of addendum to my resolution.

This morning I was praying that Heavenly Father would help me as I try to prioritize all of the things that needed to be done today.   The thought came to me that I should also pray that I would be happy with my choices, so I did.

All day that idea was on my mind.  I realized that usually, I pick what I consider to be the most important, but then I beat myself up over all of the things that didn’t make it on to my priority list.  There are always so many things left undone that I have plenty to feel bad about.

But today, as I made conscious decisions based on priorities, I chose to just be happy with my choices.

This morning I spent my few free minutes talking to my sister on the phone instead of putting on make-up.

I chose to go grocery shopping instead of taking Simon to the park for the neighborhood play date.  And honestly, I think he had just as much fun riding on the end of the shopping cart as he would have had at the park.

I spent an hour finishing the book club book (a day late, I might add) instead of cleaning a pretty messy house.

I watered my new cherry trees and pushed Simon on the swing when I should have been making dinner.  Josh said “I actually like the nights when we get to eat whatever we want.”

Yes, there were some good things that got put off.  They’ll make it onto the list eventually.  But I feel good about the things that I chose.  And that always makes for a good day!

1 comment:

  1. What a great prayer. You come up with unique thoughts and ponderings. I think I'll try this. Neat example...and almost two years later.

    ReplyDelete