My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Monday, January 23, 2012

A very merry un-birthday

I have had a little bit of guilt about having given birth to Caleb so close to Thanksgiving.  I worried that he would somehow feel less special with his birthday festivities crammed in between all the other holiday hoopla.

This year as fall was approaching he said “I love this time of year!  Halloween, Thanksgiving, my birthday, Christmas…”  That set my fears to rest.  His birthday helps to make the holiday season even better!

Still, it seems that my birthday post for him always comes very late, and this year is no exception.

IMG_5225

It was a simple celebration.  Friend parties are only for even years, and Caleb turned 11.  He really feels like he’s growing up right now.  I can’t believe that next year he’ll be passing the sacrament!

Some things I love about Caleb:

He loves adventure.  He’s so excited to be in 11 year old scouts because that means overnight campouts!

He says he doesn’t like school, but his test scores reveal that he can’t help it… he’s really smart!

He’s independent.  He likes to do things his way, and generally feels like he knows best.  Right now that creates an occasional power struggle at home, but as he learns to tame that independence with a little bit of teachable-ness, I think it’s a quality that will help him to be really successful.

He tells me he loves me whenever he’s leaving or going to bed.

He’s a good helper.  I find myself relying on him more and more as he gets older and more capable.  He reminds me a lot of his dad in that way.

He’s good with baby Eli.  It’s so heartwarming to see my “big boy” taking care of my little boy.

He’s handsome!  I may be a biased mom, but I think he is one good looking kid!

Happy late birthday Caleb!  I sure love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment