My inspiration for this record of my days:

“The biggest mistake I made [as a parent] is the one that most of us make. . . . I did not live in the moment enough. This is particularly clear now that the moment is gone, captured only in photographs. There is one picture of [my three children] sitting in the grass on a quilt in the shadow of the swing set on a summer day, ages six, four, and one. And I wish I could remember what we ate, and what we talked about, and how they sounded, and how they looked when they slept that night. I wish I had not been in such a hurry to get on to the next thing: dinner, bath, book, bed. I wish I had treasured the doing a little more and the getting it done a little less” -Anna Quindlen

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The trick-or-treating continues

This year for Halloween we had:

_MG_9025

An archer, a puppy, a glow-in-the dark skeleton, a gangster, a vampire, and a nerd.

Simon caught right on to the idea of trick-or-treating.  The problem is, he doesn’t know it only works on Halloween.

Two days later, the bigger kids were in the living room with their candy spread all over the floor, sorted into piles for bartering.   Simon kept trying to take people’s candy, and he and I both got yelled at.

“No Simon!  Give that back!  MOM!  Get Simon out of here!”

He was really disappointed, until he came up with a brilliant idea.  He grabbed an empty bucket, and told me his plan.  “I go key-ko-key Nana.”  Which means, of course, “I’m gonna go trick-or-treat Savannah.”

He bravely walked back into the living room, right up to the piano bench where Savannah’s candy was displayed.

“Key-ko-key Nana!”

Who could resist that ingenuity?  He made the rounds to all of his siblings, and scored a piece of candy from each of them.

_MG_9022

No comments:

Post a Comment